The second edition of the FIA Motorsport Games in France has been pushed back by a year to October 22-24 2021 due to the global coronavirus pandemic.
The SRO-organised competition, a motorsport equivalent of the multi-discipline Olympic Games, was launched in November last year in Italy.
A follow-up to the competition, based in the French city of Marseilles and at Paul Ricard, was announced this January and due to take place on October 23-25.
?Unfortunately, due to the COVID-19 crisis, we have decided to postpone the 2020 Motorsport Games to next year,” said FIA president Jean Todt.
“It will leave the opportunity to ASNs, the teams and our promoter SRO to be better prepared. I take the opportunity to wish the best to the Circuit Paul Ricard which celebrated its 50th anniversary last Sunday and to thank them for welcoming the next FIA Motorsport Games.?
Formula 4 was the only single-seater component of the first games, with a KCMG-designed halo-shod hybrid car run centrally by Hitech GP. Italian championship regular Andrea Rosso took the gold medal for Italy, beating Germany’s Euroformula racer Niklas Krutten and Finland’s William Alatalo.
FFSA president Nicolas Deschaux, responsible for French motorsport, said: “France, being a national sports authority, will gladly welcome and host in 2021, the various nations represented by its best drivers, on one of its legendary circuits, the circuit Paul Ricard.
“This postponement is indeniably a wise decision considering the uncertain period the world is going through. International motorsport hence proves to be a responsible actor in society.?