Rafael Villagomez will continue to drive with Van Amersfoort Racing as the team expands into FIA Formula 3, taking over the HWA entry he also raced for in 2021.
Villagomez took a best finish of 13th in FIA F3 last year as well as coming eighth in the Euroformula standings with VAR, taking five podiums in the process.
That was just his second year in single-seater racing after he’d won the Richard Mille Young Talent Academy shootout and combined French and British Formula 4 programmes in 2020.
“Last year was certainly a learning year for me, which I knew it would be,” he said.
“The move up from Formula 4 to FIA F3 was a big step, but I enjoyed every minute of it. Now I feel ready to compete at a higher level and aim for points and podium finishes.
“Having raced with them in Euroformula Open last year, I know Van Amersfoort Racing very well. It gives me great confidence to have them at my side, especially since I know how dedicated they are towards this program.”
Villagomez has long been expected to be a part of VAR’s F3 line-up, with his own manager Tom Claessen taking on the role of team manager for the Dutch squad and his backers understood to be playing a key role in its expansion to both F3 and Formula 2.
The identity of one of his team-mates is already known, with Reece Ushijima having been announced by the team on Thursday.
“It is always great to be able to progress with a driver into a second year,” said VAR’s chief executive officer Rob Niessink.
“Both driver and crew have grown close together during the season and despite Rafael moving up to another category within VAR, we know him well and he knows our way of working through and through.
“Rafael faced a steep learning curve last year, something that was anticipated. For the upcoming season his approach is certainly focused on scoring points and finishing on the podium.
“Besides the fact that our crew fully supports Rafael in every step he makes this season, he also brings along valuable F3 experience gathered last year.”