Customise Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Home News Berger hopes 2021 DTM calendar is “attractive” to W Series

Berger hopes 2021 DTM calendar is “attractive” to W Series

by Craig Woollard

Photo: DTM / Thomas Suer

DTM boss Gerhard Berger has stated he is in discussions with W Series for the all-female Formula 3 series to run on his championship’s support bill again in 2021.

W Series’s inaugural season last year was a DTM support for all six of its rounds, and the title was won by Williams Formula 1 development driver Jamie Chadwick.

For 2020 it planned to remain on the DTM bill, as well as support Formula 1 at the United States and Mexico City grands prix.

Once the coronavirus pandemic arrived, W Series didn’t arrange a replacement calendar with the DTM and ultimately opted to take a year out and run a Esports league in place of on-track action.

Speaking back in July, W Series CEO Catherine Bond Muir said the series planned to be in the F1 support paddock for more than two events in 2021.

This came as DTM’s future was coming into question with Audi, one of two remaining manufacturers in the championship, announcing the end of its participation in the ‘Class One’-based high-spec touring car series.

On Friday, the DTM officially announced it would become a GT3-based series for 2021 onwards and revealed future Classic, Esports and Electric series to go alongside the main championship and its supporting GT4-based DTM Trophy.

Speaking to the media after the reveal of the series’ future, Berger explained that there were plans for W Series to also be incorporated again if possible.

“Yes, we have our partnership with W Series. That has always been very welcome, that platform,” said Berger. “The single-seater series with the female racers worked very well, the fans loved it and we would like to have them back onboard.

“Although this year they decided to take a break due to the COVID-19 situation, negotiations have restarted and we now have to find out whether we are attractive with our calendar for them next year, so I can envisage very well that we will be working together again.”

The 2021 DTM calendar features some of the tracks that W Series also originally planned to visit this season, beginning with the new Igora Drive venue in St Petersburg, although it does lack a circuit in the United Kingdom.

Formula Scout reported back in July that W Series was in conversations with “a number of series” including F1.