Home News W Series drivers supportive of season deferral decision

W Series drivers supportive of season deferral decision

by Elliot Wood

Photo: LAT Images

Several of W Series’ drivers have spoken publicly about the championship’s decision to cancel the 2020 season, which was made due the ongoing coronavirus pandemic situation.

W Series announced on Thursday that its second season would not take place this year, with the news communicated to the grid of drivers via a group call with CEO Catherine Bond Muir.

A substitute Esports league will run from June to August in its place, with on-track action returning in 2021.

“Gutted not to be racing in W Series this year, however, fully behind the W Series team and their decision and I cannot wait for a full season and their plans for 2021,” said Alice Powell, who won last year’s Brands Hatch season finale.

“Gutted is an understatement, but there are more important things going on in the world right now? stay strong people, we will get back on track,” added fellow Briton and returnee Sarah Moore.

Indy Pro 2000 driver Sabre Cook, one of the few W Series entrants with another racing programme lined up, said: “[I’m] very sad that W Series will not be racing in 2020. But I understand the difficult situation and thanks to the W Series team for doing all they could. Now we have more time to prepare and come back stronger for an even more exciting and better 2021.”

Eight drivers were set to make their W Series debut this year, and it is unclear whether they will automatically qualify to race in the next season. Former British GT driver Abbie Eaton is one of those, and indicated she was uncertain of her entry being deferred.

“A real shame to not be on the grid for 2020 but a very understandable move from W Series,” she said. “A year of preparation to be done and hopefully back on the grid for 2021.”

The inaugural W Series Esports league, which will feature the drivers who should have been racing this year, starts on June 11.