Home Featured Red flags fill second morning of FIA F3 testing at Imola

Red flags fill second morning of FIA F3 testing at Imola

by Ida Wood

Photo: Formula Motorsport Ltd

Gabriele Mini was fastest for Prema on the second morning of FIA Formula 3 post-season testing at Imola, which was heavily disrupted by red flags.

Track limits was the big issue through the first third of the three-hour session, and the action at the top of the timesheet all occured within the first 32 minutes.

Jenzer Motorsport’s Charlie Wurz set the pace at first, then was beaten by Campos Racing’s Mari Boya an Hitech GP’s Alex Dunne six minutes in.

Prema’s Dino Beganovic was the first driver to lap in the 1m31, and at the 10-minute mark Dunne returned to the top with a 1m31.827s. Mini beat that by 0.119 seconds not long fter, then Beganovic lowered the pace by a further 0.237s.

There was no improvement on Beganovic’s benchmark until half an hour in, when Wurz set a 1m31.443s, Dunne set a 1m31.306s and then Mini posted a 1m30.679s.

In total seven drivers lapped sub-1m31s, with Boya, Beganovic and ART Grand Prix’s Nikola Tsolov completing a top four covered by 0.157s.

Gregoire Saucy was fifth for MP Motorsport, 0.247s off the pace and just 0.011s ahead of Campos’s Oliver Goethe. Trident’s Leonardo Fornaroli was seventh fastest.

The remaining two hours of the session were chaos. Red flags first waved when MP’s Kacper Sztuka stopped with a technical problem at turn 10. Two minutes after the restart he stopped with another technical problem at turn seven, then after a prolonged stoppage there was 10 minute of green flag action before red flags waved again very briefly and with all cars safely back in the pits.

Campos’s Sebastian Montoya and then Rodin Carlin’s Callum Voisin got stuck in the gravel with one hour-and-15 minutes left on the clock, prompting another red flag period, then the sessionw as only restarte for three minutes before Voisin’s team-mate Ugo Ugochukwu binned his car in the gravel at turn 19.

The next red flag period after that came with 29 minutes to go as Trident’s Sami Meguetounif stopped at turn 14 with a technical problem, and the session was finally ended four minutes before the clock hit zero as PHM Racing’s Tasanapol Inthraphuvaak ground to a halt at turn four with a technical issue.

Morning session results
Pos Driver Team Time Gaps Laps
1 Gabriele Mini Prema 1m30.679s 26
2 Mari Boya Campos Racing 1m30.706s +0.027s 40
3 Dino Beganovic Prema 1m30.752s +0.073s 26
4 Nikola Tsolov ART Grand Prix 1m30.836s +0.157s 33
5 Gregoire Saucy MP Motorsport 1m30.926s +0.247s 44
6 Oliver Goethe Campos Racing 1m30.937s +0.258s 41
7 Leonardo Fornaroli Trident 1m30.985s +0.306s 36
8 Sebastian Montoya Campos Racing 1m31.007s +0.328s 34
9 Arvid Lindblad Prema 1m31.085s +0.406s 32
10 Alex Dunne Hitech GP 1m31.091s +0.412s 39
11 Charlie Wurz Jenzer Motorsport 1m31.094s +0.415s 20
12 Kacper Sztuka MP Motorsport 1m31.213s +0.534s 21
13 Tim Tramnitz MP Motorsport 1m31.233s +0.554s 44
14 Martinius Stenshorne Hitech GP 1m31.450s +0.771s 42
15 Santiago Ramos Trident 1m31.564s +0.885s 39
16 Laurens van Hoepen ART Grand Prix 1m31.669s +0.990s 34
17 Tommy Smith Van Amersfoort Racing 1m31.684s +1.005s 30
18 Max Esterson Jenzer Motorspot 1m31.695s +1.016s 36
19 Noel Leon Van Amersfoort Racing 1m31.756s +1.077s 38
20 Christian Mansell ART Grand Prix 1m31.756s +1.077s 27
21 Sami Meguetounif Trident 1m31.768s +1.089s 33
22 Ugo Ugochukwu Carlin 1m31.771s +1.092s 25
23 Matias Zagazeta CarJenzer Motorsportlin 1m31.884s +1.205s 32
24 Sophia Floersch Van Amersfoort Racing 1m31.912s +1.233s 33
25 Callum Voisin Carlin 1m32.105s +1.426s 29
26 Cian Shields Hitech GP 1m32.117s +1.438s 38
27 Joshua Dufek PHM Racing 1m32.180s +1.501s 24
28 Louis Sharp Carlin 1m32.331s +1.652s 29
29 Tasanapol Inthraphuvasak PHM Racing 1m32.635s +1.956s 43
30 Joshua Duerksen PHM Racing 1m32.639s +1.960s 36